While the chin represents only 10 percent of the face by area, it can drastically affect a person’s appearance. Chin surgery, also known as genioplasty, can range from reconstructive procedures that reposition the chin bone to simple office-based procedures to minimize asymmetry. Dr. Marco Ellis has years of experience performing chin surgery both as a standalone procedure or in conjunction with other procedures (e.g., neck liposuction, rhinoplasty, face lift).
When Is Chin Surgery Necessary?
The most common indication for chin surgery is microgenia, a chin point that is relatively short for the face and has little projection. Most men with this problem camouflage their smaller chin by growing a beard, which simulates fullness.
Surgery can also be customized for patients who have severe asymmetry of the chin point or an overly prominent chin (macrogenia). Dr. Ellis’ goal is to provide a customized solution to address the patient’s unique concerns. He and his staff will guide you through the consultation, planning, surgery and recovery phase.
What Happens During the Preoperative Evaluation?
Preoperative evaluation includes consolidating any history of dental or oral surgical procedures. Patients then undergo a 3D evaluation with simulation to learn their exact expectations. Recommendations vary based on the amount of change desired.
Chin Surgery Options
Dr. Ellis has multiple techniques and procedures for augmenting the chin. Options include:
- A chin implant, which is usually made of silicone and comes in a variety of sizes and shapes. It can be placed between the muscles and the chinbone to add desirable length and shape to the bottom of the face.
- Fat transfer, which harvests surplus fat cells from another area of the patient’s own body (often the abdomen or thighs), purifies these cells, and then reimplants them in the chin to add natural volume. Because this procedure uses the patient’s own fat cells, the results are safe and long-lasting.
- Sliding genioplasty, which cuts and repositions the bone to extend the chin (or alternately push back a very prominent chin). This is generally reserved for procedures where the patient wants a more significant change in length.
- Dermal filler, which is a hyaluronic acid-based injectable treatment that provides volume to the chin. Although it involves no downtime, periodic treatments are necessary to maintain these results.
Chin Surgery Recovery & Results
Recovery from chin augmentation is easier than recovery from certain other plastic surgery procedures. Although swelling and discomfort in the chin area are common, this can be managed with pain medication and ice packs. Most patients feel well enough to return to work and other normal activities within a week or two.
While the chin should look larger immediately following surgery, it can take a few months for the swelling to completely subside and showcase the new facial contours achieved with chin augmentation. Except when dermal filler is used, results from chin augmentation are usually considered permanent.
Chin Augmentation Costs
The price for chin augmentation depends on multiple factors, the most important being the type of procedure that the patient and Dr. Ellis agree will best achieve the patient’s desired results. During a consultation, Dr. Ellis will discuss the costs of each procedure so that the patient can make an informed decision. Since chin surgery is an elective procedure, it is generally not covered by insurance. However, financing options are available to Dr. Ellis’s patients.
Chin Surgery Complementary Procedures
Chin augmentation is often performed in conjunction with rhinoplasty. Because the nose and chin are the two parts of the face that extend the furthest, striking a good proportion between these features can enhance the attractiveness of the face.
Dr. Ellis also commonly performs neck and/or chin liposuction at the same time as chin augmentation to provide the patient with an attractive face shape with a strong jawline.
Chin augmentation is one of several facial surgeries that a patient may choose as part of a larger gender affirmation plan.
Benefits of Chin Augmentation
Advantages of chin augmentation performed by Dr. Ellis include:
- Extending a weak or recessed chin
- Achieving better harmony with other facial features like the nose
- Strengthening the definition of the jawline
- Diminishing the prominence of a double chin or jowls
- Filling in a cleft in the chin